5 Ways to Maintain Consistent Food Quality
Can you name one concept that benefits virtually every aspect of foodservice operations from inventory management, food and labor costs, quality, and customer satisfaction to waste management?
Consistency. There’s a reason that this one word is the mantra of foodservice chains around the world and a New Year’s resolution for others. Like many concepts, it may be easy to sum up in a single word, but making it happen involves multiple steps.
Tools that help standardize measurement and processes are essential to establishing and maintaining consistency, not to mention providing an invaluable reference for new trainees. Here are a few that make consistency an achievable goal.
1. Mercer Rules by Mercer Culinary is a handy guide that helps kitchen staff properly size knife cuts, convert measurements, and store and cook foods at correct temperatures for safe serving.
This useful tool is made of durable stainless steel, has hanging holes for convenient storage, and is also available in mini and Spanish versions.
2. Portioning Spoons by TableCraft are available in 6 sizes, from 2 to 8 ounces.
With color-coded handles and solid or perforated options, these stainless steel and polypropylene tools make it easy for staff to measure hot or cold foods quickly and accurately.
Capacity markings are listed on the handle, while a hanging hook makes them easy to store.
3. For solid cuts of meat, fish, and other center-of-plate proteins, the Bravo Digital Portion Scale by Edlund helps ensure portions are consistent and match up with menu descriptions such as “6-ounce” or “9-ounce” filet.
Edlund scales are designed specifically for foodservice, so they can safely live in the kitchen without worry of juices and moisture leaking into the scale.
4. Cambro Camwear Measuring Cups have easy-to-read metric and U.S. graduations and clear content visibility to help employees measure quickly and accurately.
Offered in 1 cup, 1 pint, 1, 2 and 4 quart sizes, cups are shatterproof, NSF listed, and dishwasher safe.
These heat tolerant vessels were made specifically for tasks such as melting butter, rehydrating dried ingredients with hot water, and microwaving gravies or sauces.
Cambro also offers personalization on items such as the Camliter, round, and square food storage containers.
Ingredient fill lines and simple graphics can be imprinted on the containers to simplify prep of popular menu items.
5. Standardizing cooking processes for consistency can be easily achieved with the right cooking equipment.
Welbilt brands such as Merrychef high speed ovens and Convotherm combi ovens have an easyTouch® icon-driven touchscreen and pre-programmed recipes, so employees of varying experience levels can create consistent results at the push of a button.
Is improving consistency on your list of resolutions or goals for this year? We can help.